The Diocese of Tyler Safe Environment program is conducted cooperatively with parents, civil authorities, educators, and community organizations to provide education and training for children, youth, parents, ministers, educators, volunteers, and others about ways to make and maintain a safe environment for children and young people. As part of this program, there will be frequent reminders of the Code of Ethics and Integrity for Conduct of Church Personnel in the Diocese of Tyler, which sets forth the standards of conduct for clergy and other persons in positions of trust with regard to children.
- 2019 Safe Environment Program Decree (PDF)
- 2019 Safe Environment Week Letter/Bulletin Insert from Bishop Strickland (PDF)
- April 2019 "Blue Sunday" Resources
- Child Abuse Prevention Month Resources from USCCB
- Prayer to St. Maria Goretti, patroness of abused children: English Prayer Bulletin Insert/Flyer (PDF)
- Oración a Santa María Goretti, patrona de los niños que han sido abusados: Spanish Prayer Bulletin Insert/Flyer (PDF)
Every year, the children in our schools and religious education programs receive lessons in keeping themselves safe.
Our Safe Environment lesson plans have been fully revised to address each grade level with instruction and materials that are age-appropriate, user-friendly, and fully consistent with the moral teachings of the Catholic Church. The lessons are designed to promote respect for the dignity of the human person and virtuous living.
Our goal in revising the curriculum was to equip teachers, parents/guardians, and students with knowledge that can help keep children and young people safe while providing this instruction in a way that fosters the formation of Christian virtues. These revised lessons were developed by the Safe Environment Office of the Archdiocese, in consultation with professional educators and child safety experts.
- English Curriculum (link to Archdiocese of New York)
- Spanish Curriculum: K-1 Grado - 2-3 Grado - 4-5 Grado
- Archives (Safe Environment Program materials from previous years)
- Implementation of the Safe Environment Program
- Annual Participation Record
Note: These sites are secular sites and so not all materials on them may be appropriate for Catholic families.
- Grooming: Basic description of the grooming process
- NetSmartz: www.netsmartz.org Good materials at various grade levels.
- NetSmartzKids: www.netsmartzkids.org Child-friendly activity site
- NS Teens: www.nsteens.org Teen friendly site connected with NetSmartz
- Coalition for children: www.safechild.org Materials for children safety
- TX Attorney General: www.oag.state.tx.us
- Booklet on Child Abuse: .pdf of booklet
- State Crime Victims on Abuse: www.oag.state.tx.us/victims/childabuse.shtml
- Child Abuse Video from TX AG: online video
- www.childhelpusa.org - This site has free downloads and inexpensive materials
- www.austin-safeplace.org - This site has a lending library with some good materials