Bishop Joseph E. Strickland celebrated Mass of Christian Burial for Sister Mary John of the Precious Blood, OP, July 17 in the Chapel of the Monastery of the Infant Jesus in Lufkin.
Sister Mary John died July 14 in the monastery. She was 76.
She was born Helen Anne Molesworth to Anne Fetsch and Charles Henry Molesworth on Aug. 21, 1940, in Houston. She attended Holy Rosary Elementary School, St. Agnes Academy, and Sacred Heart Dominican College, all in Houston. Before entering the monastery, she taught at Holy Ghost Elementary and Corpus Christi Elementary, also in Houston.
Sister Mary John entered the monastery on February 2, 1963, made First Profession on November 26, 1964, and Solemn Profession three years later. In her 54 years at the monastery, Sister Mary John served the cloistered community as prioress for 12 years.
She was interred in the monastery cemetery.
“Through her multiple years in maintenance, Sister touched many lives in the Lufkin community,” the nuns said in her obituary. “She helped many people through her prayers, her letters, parlor visits, and most of all by her openness to God and his will for her, especially in the gracious and peaceful acceptance of her terminal illness.”
The Monastery of the Infant Jesus in Lufkin, founded in 1945, is home to cloistered Dominican nuns who live the traditional monastic life of contemplative prayer and sacrifice on behalf of all God’s people. They are part of the Order of Preachers founded by St. Dominic in Prouilhe, France, in 1206.