A training session for all interested in participating in the annual Texas Catholic Conference Advocacy Day is scheduled for Feb. 28 at the Cathedral Center in Tyler, Fr. Nolan Lowry has announced.
The TCC Advocacy Day is a bi-annual rally at the Texas State Capitol hosted by the Texas Bishops to promote the Church’s values of Life, Justice, Charity, and Religious Freedom to members of the 84th Texas Legislature. The Bishops and event participants will address a broad range of diverse issues including abortion facilities regulation, advance directives reform, school choice tax credit scholarships, payday lending and Medicaid expansion.
This year’s Advocacy Day is on Tuesday, March 24 and will begin with the Texas Bishops and participants joining together in a massive rally at 11:30 a.m. on the south steps of the historic Capitol. In addition, a BBQ lunch will be served on the great lawn of the Capitol grounds.
Throughout the day, participants will make visits to their state senators and representatives. Media from across Texas will also be on hand to chronicle this historic event. All Texas Catholics are urged to get involved and support the Bishop’s legislative agenda by participating in the following activities:
- Pray that our Texas legislators will hear the voice of Catholics throughout the state.
- Learn more about the TCC Legislative Agenda and why we are supporting or opposing certain bills: <http://www.txcatholic.org/#!
- Sign up for action alerts through the Texas Catholic Network: <http://www.txcatholic.org/#!
- Join us for the Catholic Faith in Action Advocacy Day on March 24, 2015.
- Promote in your parishes and schools.
- Call and let your representatives know that you support the Bishops.
Fr. Lowry has scheduled an information and training session at the Cathedral Center in Tyler on Saturday, Feb. 28 from 9 a.m to 12 p.m. for all who are interested in participating. Dr. Jeff Patterson from the TCC will present on the issues and aim of TCC for the 84th Legislative Session.
Anyone from the Diocese of Tyler who interested in attending the information day at the end of February and/or the Advocacy Day in March should e-mail Fr. Lowry at email@example.com.